POSTGRADUATE STUDENTSHIP (PGS)
Full-time regular research postgraduate students are eligible for a postgraduate studentship of HK$18,390 per month (2023-24 academic year) during their normative study period. The studentship is intended to help cover daily subsistence, tuition fees and other expenses that students may incur during the course of their study.
HONG KONG PHD FELLOWSHIP SCHEME (HKPFS)
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship scheme is established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) with aims to attract the best and brightest students from around the world to pursue doctoral studies at HKUST.
THE FELLOWSHIP WILL BE OFFERED IN 2024-25 ACADEMIC YEAR
Stipend: HK$331,200 (~US$42,290) per year, for 4 years
Excellent Research Award: HK$40,000 (~US$5,100) in the first year of study
Conference Travel Allowance: HK$13,800 (~US$1,760) per year, for 4 years; and
University Accommodation: Guaranteed in the first 2 years of research postgraduate studies
For more details, please visit https://fytgs.hkust.edu.hk/hkpfs
Application Procedures and Timeline
The University is now inviting applications for 2024-25 admissions. Please make sure that you complete both RGC and HKUST applications.
- By 1 Dec 2023 (12noon, GMT+8) - RGC application deadline
- Obtain an HKPFS reference number from the Hong Kong Research Grants Council.
- By 1 Dec 2023 (11:59pm, GMT+8) - HKUST application deadline
- Submit the HKPFS application online directly to HKUST.
- Applicants who have chosen two HKUST programs in the initial application are reminded to submit a separate full application for EACH chosen program to HKUST.
- Please be reminded to quote the HKPFS reference number obtained from RGC.
Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP)
It is a scholarship for new students from East, Southeast and South Asia to pursue postgraduate studies and cross-cultural enrichment. The application for 2023/24 Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program is before 31 January 2024. Visit here for more details about the program.
THE FELLOWSHIP WILL BE OFFERED IN 2024-25 ACADEMIC YEAR:
- Covering tuition, lodging and daily subsistence costs throughout the normative study period
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
Scholarship of HK$258,000 (~US$32,950) per year
- Tenable for 2 years, subject to renewable conditions
Tuition Waiver Scheme for Local MPhil and PhD Students
To build up a pool of local research talents to sustain Hong Kong’s competitiveness and propel the development of our higher education, the Hong Kong Government has introduced this new scheme. Applicable to all local students enrolled in full-time MPhil/PhD programs, who have the (i) right of abode, (ii) right to land or (iii) “unconditional stay” status in Hong Kong. Check for the symbol “A”, “R” or “U” in the HKSAR Smart ID.
THE SCHEME I OFFERED STARTING FROM 2018-19 ADMISSION
- Tuition waiver of HK$42,100 per annum
- Provided for a normative period of study
- MPhil: 2 years
- PhD (with a research master’s degree): 3 years
- PhD (without a research master’s degree): 4 years
For details, please visit here.
Other Funding and Scholarships
Visit here for more information.